Progression Survey 2014
We are working in conjunction with Dr Clare Rusbridge, one of the Veterinary Neurologists who first recognized Lafora like symptoms in Mini Wires to gather more information about the onset and progression of the condition, and the level of veterinary knowledge,/awareness, an area of particular concern given the very low diagnosis rate in affected dogs identified by the first survey conducted in 2012. To take part, please complete the new LAFORA SURVEY for each of your dogs that may be or is definitely affected. You will also be asked whether you would be prepared to complete the survey again in periodically, which will be invaluable in monitoring and identifying progression patterns. Thank you so much in anticipation. PLEASE NOTE, ONLY COMPLETE THIS SURVEY IF:
- YOU ARE IN THE UK OR YOUR DOG IS FROM UK BREEDING
- YOU HAVE A CONFIRMED DNA TESTED RESULT SHOWN ON THE WHDC DATABASE OR:
- YOUR DOG HAS BEEN TESTED BY ANOTHER PROVEN RELIABLE DNA TEST
- OR: YOUR DOG FITS CATEGORY 1, IS A MINI WIRE, NOT TESTED BUT SHOWING DEFNITE SYMPTOMS OF LAFORA
If your dog falls into either category 3 or 4, we will be in touch to ask for further details. Your information is vital to help inform the research but may not be used for some data analysis. IF YOU ARE NOT UK BASED BUT WOULD LIKE MORE INFORMATION OR TO GET INVOLVED, PLEASE CONTACT firstname.lastname@example.org.
This is an ongoing piece of work to monitor the age of onset and differing rates of progression of Lafora Disease, which means that results may change, but from questionnaires completed up to 30th November 2013:
- The only WHDC tested Affected dogs that are showing no symptoms are all younger than 5. In other words, it appears that ALL affected dogs will develop symptoms at some stage.
- Average age of onset for ALL dogs is 7.
- Youngest age of onset WHDC TESTED dog is 2.5 (next youngest 4.5).
- Oldest age of onset WHDC Tested dog is 9.